We have just been awarded our B Corporation certification, which we’re so proud of! This is huge for several reasons, the most important of which will be our level of accountability for impacting change and putting people and community first.
The certification is (very) tough to get! We are the only realtor in Boulder County to have been awarded this achievement and just the second realtor in the whole of Colorado.
It means the world to us because we believe just making a profit doesn’t cut it anymore. It is time for businesses to show leadership, and to prove they care about people and our planet while they do business. We strive to “B the Change” we want to see in our world. While we have always felt this way, our B-Corp certification gives you the confidence that we meet the highest standards of social and environmental impact.
What is a B Corp?
According to B Lab, “Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.”
B Corps strive to put people before profit, the environment before convenience, and the future before current shareholder interest. All B Corps commit to deeply-rooted values such as reducing global emissions, fighting for racial justice, and maintaining transparency through legal accountability.
Why should people care about working with businesses who are a B Corp?
The B corp certification has become a guide for conscious consumers to make confident choices.
More and more consumers are now focusing on factors outside the normal definition of a product or service. They don’t just want any coffee, they want to know about where it is from and how it is produced, for example. They value and require that businesses they deal with have transparency about how they are working on factors that go beyond profits and success. Many businesses are realizing that they have ethical and social responsibilities, and that this is part of what they offer to their customers.
What does the commitment really look like?
To get the certification, we went through an Impact Assessment around 5 key areas. The company must be verified to exceed a certain score for every category. This ensures they meet the quality standards set by B Labs with a focus on continuously improving each area.
In addition, impact across the whole supply chain must be evaluated and a B Corp governance structure followed and certification is re-evaluated every three years’.
Here are some of the high standards we have met to become a B-Corp:
- Our Governance: We meet high standards of ethics, transparency, and have even amended our founding documents to reflect our commitment to caring for people and our planet, in addition to making a profit.
- Our Clients: We have worked hard to make sure our clients are delighted with every aspect of our service
- Our Community: We actively support our community. Our suppliers are 100% local and we give preference to minorities. We joyously pledge at least 1% of our profits back into our community.
- Our Workers: We strive to look after workers like family, compensate them well, and work towards diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Our Planet: We are now a carbon-neutral company that has done real work to reduce, reuse, and recycle. We actively seek to minimize our footprint wherever possible.
Want to learn more?
See more details here: www.bcorporation.net
Getting B-Corp certified feels great! We challenge other Niwot businesses to consider becoming B-Corps too, feel free to ask us more about this. B the Change!